Wednesday, November 2, 2011

While I was reading some Manga...

I came across something interesting I wanted to share.

It was clear to me that they were using that kanji as a tally marker because it had five strokes but I ended up looking it up online anyway because I was curious. The kanji he is using is the kanji 正 which means correct, proper or honest. It takes 5 strokes to complete it making it a useful tally mark. 


The tally mark we are most familiar with in the US is the five bar gate:
Which is also used in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, other North American countries and Zimbabwe.
Not only Japan but also Korea, Taiwan and China use the kanji tally mark.
The tally marks used in spanish speaking countries such as Spain and in South American us a box like tally:


Just one of those things you never really think about much but I thought it would be interesting to share what I learned! Hope this was interesting to some other people as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment